This section is for system administrators that are installing a new driver on a system on which other drivers are already installed.
When adding a new driver to an existing ClearSCADA system, you need to:
- Ensure that your system has a valid license for the new driver. (Use the License Details window to check whether a valid driver license exists—see Server License Settings in the ClearSCADA Guide to Server Administration.)
- Use the ClearSCADA Installation Wizard to select the driver component(s) that you need to install (see Install a Driver in ClearSCADA).
Remember that if you are installing an Extension Driver, you also need to ensure that its ‘parent’ driver is installed and suitably licensed.
- Configure any driver-specific server settings for the new driver. (Not all drivers have server settings that are driver-specific—the relevant driver guide will summarize any settings that do exist.)
- Add the various driver-specific items—channels, points, and so on—to your system and configure those items in the database (see the relevant driver guide and, if applicable, see Configure a Channel’s Connection Properties).
(Remember that by default, ClearSCADA does not store point data historically—if you want ClearSCADA to store data historically for a particular point, you need to enable Historic on the configuration Form for that point (see Defining Historic Details for a Point in the ClearSCADA Guide to Core Point Configuration).)
- If required, specify the alarm conditions for which any new point types are to have Multiple Point State Alarms. (For information on this feature, see Multiple Point State Alarms in the ClearSCADA Guide to Core Point Configuration. For information on setting up multiple point state alarms, see Point State Alarms in the ClearSCADA Guide to Server Administration.)
- Set up the required security for the newly added driver items (see the ClearSCADA Guide to Security).
(Remember that security permissions are assigned on a per item/per group basis, whereas access to the various features and functions is assigned on a per user/per user group basis.)